Sunday, October 14, 2007

Buzz-Based Book Marketing

Once upon a time, people went to bookshops when they wanted to purchase a book. Or at least, that was the theory. Actually, non-bookstore channels have got been a large portion of book gross sales for decades—at least since writers like Joe Karbo ("The Lazy Man's Manner to Riches") back in the 1960s.

For my ain books, whether they were self-published, done with a little commercial house, or by a New House Of York conglomerate, I've establish that merchandising direct is more than than secure, more financially rewarding, and far less fuss than perspiration out the tax returns game with the bookshop channel.

All along, I've sold through addresses (I love getting paid to make my ain marketing), over the Web (the first of my four websites went unrecorded in 1996), to clients at my office, who gaze at a rack of my work throughout their full appointment, and through an extended attempt to make "buzz."

The great thing is that *anyone* tin bring forth buzz. Three of my techniques:

1. Be a beginning or invitee for conventional media. I've been quoted in Reader's Digest, the New House Of York Times, Woman's Day, Bottom Line, the Wall Street Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times, Inc, and tons of other well-known and indeterminate publications. I'm also a call-in invitee on at least a twelve radiocommunication shows per year. Whether or not I sell a batch of books directly through these interviews, I definitely make a batch of bombilation (search for my name at Google and see for yourself)--and the best interviews sell a figure of books through my websites or toll-free numbers.

I have got a "secret weapon" for getting coverage: a service that directs beginning questions from journalists working on narratives (see below).

2. Find your niche on line, and take part actively. There are literally 100s of one thousands of "communities" online: practical watercoolers where people garner to speak shop: mystery, historical novel reading groups, people in every line of work. Find a grouping whose audience is the same as your book, and take part often. I currently take part in three groupings for little fourth estate publishing houses (a primary marketplace not only for my books but for my copywriting services), a grouping for Internet selling professionals, three for professional praseodymium and copywriters, and respective others. Yes, I pass an hr or two per twenty-four hours keeping up with--and participating on--these lists, but the impact on my concern is huge.

3. Distribute content. Articles, book excerpts, blogs...if you compose often adequate about a subject, you go an expert. And you can happen tons of websites, treatment groups, black and white newsletters, 'zines, even radiocommunication shows--all hungry for well-written, enlightening material. You acquire "paid" with a few lines of endorsement and contact info.

For my 6th book, "Principled Profit: Selling That Puts People First," I am adding three things to the mix: an Ethical Business Pledge political campaign that ought to convey promotion for years, a web of independent representatives who will sell my book on commission--thus reaching new webs I've not been able to attain on my own--and aggressive chase of corporate gross sales and foreign rights. I've had some success with the latter: 1000 transcripts to a outstanding airline, and foreign editions in Republic Of India and Mexico. And that agency the book was already profitable before it rolled off the press!

Links:
"Secret Weapon" that allows me react to journalist queries: http://snipurl.com/la5x
List of mass media that have got covered me: http://www.principledprofit.com/press-room.html
Mercantile Ethical Motive Pledge: http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org

1 comment:

Shel Horowitz, author, Guerrilla Marketing Goes Green said...

Alice, I'm glad you liked my article enough to post it--but you forgot to keep my byline and resource box: required conditions for using my articles as posted at ezinearticles.com

Please add in byline and resource box as they appear on that site.

Failure to do that is an infringement of my copyright, plagiarism, and a violation of the term of service at ezinearticles--thus, you should do this as soon as possible. I will check back in approximately 48 hours to make sure it has been done.

Shel Horowitz